Watch Episode 52 with Dr. Melanie Joy here:
More than 9 billion land animals are raised and killed for consumption every year, just in the United States.
The more people consume meat, the higher the demand, and the more animals are exploited and slaughtered.
Today’s guest shares some insight into this phenomenon, which she has coined carnism.
Tune in to hear Dr. Melanie Joy as she joins Dotsie and Alexandra to discuss how carnism is woven into the very fabric of our society. She explains that it’s both institutionalized and internalized, and held up by our social powerarchy.
Learn how carnism creates a defense mechanism that distorts perception, disconnects us from empathy, and how you can fight against it.
Listen to Episode 52 with Dr. Melanie Joy here:
What we discuss in this episode:
- Why do we love dogs, eat pigs, and wear cows? Dr. Melanie Joy explains what carnism is and how it affects all of us
- The experience that made Melanie become vegan
- How people who practice carnism defend themselves
- Veganism isn’t an overnight change: Why awareness is key
- What Beyond Beliefs teaches us about non-vegans’ roles in the solution to ending the consumption of animal products
- The Powerarchy phenomenon, and how people compartmentalize their thoughts toward certain individuals or groups
- Be one of the first to get Melanie’s next book, Getting Relationships Right, coming February 2020
- Follow Melanie Joy on Facebook at @MelanieJoy or at @beyondcarnism, on Instagram at @beyondcarnism, and on Twitter at @BeyondCarnism. Check out her website at www.carnism.org
- To support our mission to educate, inspire, and embolden the world to lean into eating pants instead of baby cow growth food, donate today to spread the word.