By The Nut-Free Vegan
Prefer a savory to a sweet breakfast? Mix up your mornings with this simple Mexican-inspired tofu scramble. You’ll start your day with a quality boost of protein, a variety of micronutrients, plenty of antioxidants, and a spicy kick. This recipe is completely customizable—use it to build your perfect breakfast. Try adding spinach or kale to the mix, top with nutritional yeast or non-dairy cheese, throw in some black beans, or wrap it in a burrito as you head out the door. The possibilities are endless. Our favorite: breakfast for dinner!
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 package firm or extra-firm tofu
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Pat tofu dry and cover with an absorbent towel. Place a heavy object (e.g., a cast-iron skillet) on top about for about 10 minutes to press out the excess water.
2. Combine all spices in small mixing bowl.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet, add jalapeños, and cook 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook 2 more minutes.
4. With a fork or your hands, break up the tofu into small crumbles.
5. Add tofu to one side of skillet and cook with the vegetables about 5 minutes.
6. Add spices, stir and cook 5 more minutes.
7. Serve with salsa, cilantro, avocado or toast.