Prep Time: 5 minutes
– 2-3 overripe, frozen bananas
– optional nondairy milk of choice, if needed
– pinch of salt
1. Start with bananas that are turning brown.
2. Peel and cut into large pieces, then freeze in an airtight bag or container. You can freeze a whole bunch at once so they’re ready whenever you want to make banana ice cream.
3. To make the ice cream, throw the equivalent of 2-3 frozen bananas into a blender or food processor
4. Add a pinch of salt and 2-4 tbsp nondairy milk of choice for smoother blending (or if you don’t have a high-speed blender).
5. Blend until you achieve a soft-serve consistency.
6. Serve immediately or transfer to a container and freeze an additional 30 minutes, then scoop out with an ice cream scoop.
10 Banana Ice Cream Flavors
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream: Use 3 bananas. Add 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract, pinch salt, and 3 tbsp cocoa powder.
Mint Chocolate Chip: Use 2 bananas and a pinch of salt. Add 1/8 tsp pure peppermint extract (or more if desired), and stir in chocolate chips or cacao nibs after blending. Optional: blend in a pinch of spirulina or a small handful spinach for color and an extra nutrient boost.
Peanut Butter: Make the original recipe above, adding 2-3 tbsp peanut butter or another nut butter or allergy-friendly alternative before blending.
Cookies’n Cream: Make the original recipe above, adding 2 tbsp coconut butter. After blending, add in a crushed cookie sandwich.
Very Berry: Make the original recipe above, adding 1 cup frozen berries of choice and 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract.
Strawberry: Use 2 bananas. Blend in 1/2 cup frozen strawberries. Add 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract and an optional shake of cinnamon.
Pina Colada: Make the original recipe above, using 1/4 cup canned coconut milk as your milk of choice. Blend in 1/2 cup frozen pineapple. Stir in shredded coconut.
Vanilla Bean: Use 3 bananas and a pinch of salt. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste.
Pistachio: Make the original recipe above, adding 2-3 tbsp pistachio butter and 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract. Sprinkle crushed pistachios on top.